Public liability

Public liability covers damages arising to third party property and/or personal injury caused by our negligence/duty of care:

  • for claims where the accident date is on or after 1 April 2018 our insurers are Protector Insurance
  • for claims where the accident date is between 1 April 2014 and 31 March 2018 our insurers are Aviva
  • for claims where the accident date is before 1 April 2014 our insurers are Zurich Municipal.

Submit a claim

If your accident date is on or after 1 April 2018, please submit a letter of claim to the Westminster City Council's insurance team at or alternatively by post to Insurance Section, 3rd Floor, Town Hall, Hornton Street, London, W8 7NX.

The letter must contain the following information:

  • claimant's name and address
  • claimant's date of birth
  • claimant's National Insurance number
  • details of the incident such as exact location and date and time it occurred
  • an indication of the injury or damage to property
  • a detailed explanation of how or why you feel CityWest Homes has acted negligently.

To submit a claim under our public liability insurance for an accident date on or before 31 March 2018, please fill in our insurance form.

If our contractors cause an accident for which they would be legally responsible we will redirect the claim to them.

Stress or inconvenience is not claimable unless there is a recognised psychiatric illness or actual financial loss.

Building insurance

Westminster City Council is responsible for insuring the structure and buildings of all its properties as the freeholders. Claims under Westminster’s building insurance policy must be made within 30 days of the incident and incur a £100 excess charge per claim. To initiate a claim you can contact the insurers directly.

Submit a claim

For claims where the incident date is on or after 1 April 2016, the insurers are Ocaso SA. Their details are:
Call: 0344 856 2032
Policy No: 346141

For claims where the incident date is before 1 April 2016, the insurers are Zurich Municipal. Their details are:
Call: 0800 335 500
Policy No: 10/006460/05500377

Please note that the building insurance policy will not cover certain events such as if your flat has been unoccupied for more than 30 days. For full details on what the policy covers, excludes and other general information on such items as excess and payments limits please read the Household Building Insurance for Local Authorities  booklet in the Related Documents section.

The building insurance policy does not cover the following items against damage regardless of the cause:

  • furniture
  • carpets
  • belongings
  • decorations. 

We would highly recommend you obtain your own home contents insurance. We offer a home contents insurance policy specifically designed for you, as our tenants or leaseholder. 

Home contents insurance

We do not insure your furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism or burst pipes. We strongly recommend that you make your own arrangements, as there is no provision for it within either the public liability insurance or the building insurance.

Under a scheme with Aviva, which is open to all Westminster City Council tenants and leaseholders, it is easy for you to protect your belongings.

Read about our home contents insurance offer in the related documents section.

Insurance claims for roads and footpaths

Claims can only be brought against us where a defect in our premises, or area for which we are responsible, is alleged to have caused loss, damage or injury.

We are not responsible for repair and maintenance of all roads and footpaths in Westminster; this is more likely to be the responsibility of Westminster City Council. If you are unsure who is responsible for a road or footpath please contact the council.
Call: 020 7641 6000.

Insurance claims for public highways

For claims relating to the public highways, please redirect your claim to Westminster City Council. You can do this on the Westminster City Council website (opens new window).