Report anti-social behaviour


Anti-social behaviour is a term that is used to describe behaviour that affects your quality of life. This can include behaviour that impacts on your peaceful enjoyment of your home.

In some incidences you may wish to raise the issue with your neighbour before reporting a problem to us. It may be that they are not aware that they are causing a problem and you may be able to resolve it quickly and easily. Of course, we appreciate that may not always be considered appropriate so you should be confident that it is a safe course of action.

To help we offer our ‘dear neighbour’ cards to help you to do this. You can pick up a card from your area service centre or download one from this page.

If you prefer not to raise the issue yourself then please let us know using the form below.

If criminal activity is suspected it should be reported to the police immediately.


Fill in an anti-social behaviour form

Call: The council’s 24/7 noise team on 020 7641 2000 (environmental action line)

Call: Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

In an emergency always dial 999

To contact the police in a non-emergency, dial 101, alternatively you can make a non-emergency report to the police online (opens new window).

Our team are available between 9am and 5pm on Monday to Friday. For any complaints outside of this time please contact one of the services listed above.

Complete the anti-social behaviour online form or contact our customer services team on 0800 358 3783.

Next steps

When you report anti-social behaviour using our online form we will give you a unique case reference number and assign a specialist case manager to investigate your complaint.

We will keep you up-to-date with our progress and advise you of any action we take. We will also contact you before we close the case to check if there are any outstanding issues.

After the case has been closed we will contact you to find out if you are satisfied with the service you received and the outcome of our investigation.

Please remember that some disputes such as those caused by cooking smells and rubbish disposal are not classed as anti-social behaviour. If you do call us about these disputes then we will let you know about other services that may be able to help you.

Treating your report in confidence

The information you provide may be shared with the police and other agencies. This will be done in the strictest confidence and we will not reveal your identity.

We can address issues with your neighbours without revealing who has reported them to us.

We will discuss any action we take with you beforehand so you are clear on how we plan to tackle the problem.


Noise is the most common anti-social behaviour complaint we receive. Our specialist case managers are experts at dealing with this type of complaint. You can also seek help from the council’s noise team outside of working hours.

Wooden or hard wood floors

If a neighbour has removed a carpet and replaced it with a hard wood, laminate or ceramic floor it is likely you will hear more noise.

From 1 September 2008 tenants have been required to gain our written permission to lay this type of flooring.

If you are a leaseholder and bought your property after January 2006, please check your lease to see if it specifically requires you to install a high quality underlay.

Sound insulation

In some cases everyday living noises such as footsteps, doors closing, and children playing may be audible between flats. This can be a particular problem in older properties, especially in those built before 1990 or in properties converted before 1992. They were not subject to the same standards of sound proofing that are necessary today.

The law states that a landlord is not liable to a tenant who is disturbed by the ordinary and reasonable activities of a neighbouring tenant because of inadequate sound insulation between properties.


We can also offer a free and impartial mediation service if both parties are willing to engage.

Mediation is a step-by-step process that gives you the opportunity to resolve problems with your neighbours by talking confidentially to an independent professional mediator.

The mediator can help you find your own solutions to disputes and help you to negotiate a settlement or agreement so that you can move forward.

You may be asked if you will agree to be referred for mediation, or alternatively you can ask to be referred. Once the mediation has started no specific details of the discussions will be shared with us.

Your responsibilities

If you are a tenant, you are responsible for the behaviour of everyone living in your household and your visitors. If they cause a nuisance, you must ask them to stop or you will be putting your tenancy at risk.

If you are a leaseholder and have sublet your property you must ensure that your tenants do not cause a nuisance.

Evicting a tenant

In most cases taking legal action to evict a tenant is a last resort for us and one that we would only consider after we have tried other ways to resolve the problems. We are able to resolve most cases by intervening early and addressing any underlying issues.

Where we are unable to resolve an issue we can only evict a tenant if we have an Order from the Court. Eviction is a very serious matter. If you are evicted for anti-social behaviour it is likely that you would be considered intentionally homeless if you reapplied for social housing. This means that the council is unlikely to give you another home.

Further information

You can find out more information about what to do if you are having problems with your neighbours by going to your tenant or leaseholder handbook.

Please see our policy around tackling anti-social behaviour for more information.

We would like to thank resident representatives in the central area who came up with a number of ideas to frame the content on this page.