You may want to make changes to your home to suit your style and needs, but please make sure you get our written permission before going ahead with any alterations to your home.

The list below shows alterations that require our formal permission:

  • works affecting the structure of the building
  • works affecting any services to the property, for example, electricity, gas, drainage, water
  • installation of central heating / replacement of boiler
  • any change to the internal layout of your property
  • erection of a conservatory
  • rewiring
  • new kitchens and bathrooms
  • changing or removing any internal doors
  • asbestos removal - please read our guide on asbestos here for further advice.

These alterations need approval from your local area office:

  • the installation of a satellite dish - needs approval from the estate office and Westminster City Council’s planning department
  • changing your flat entrance door.

These alterations may need approval from Westminster City Council:

  • fitting wooden floors - by law, you must also lay down sound insulation
  • replacing kitchen and bathroom units - as long as it does not include gas and electrical works or work to the drainage.

Apply for permission

Please download and complete the application form for alterations and send it to us at the address below.

  • South area service centre, 137 Lupus Street, London, SW1V 3HE

Once your application is received, we will advise you on progress and any conditions that may apply. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.

Call: 0800 358 3783

If you don’t apply for permission you will be breaking the terms of your tenancy with us and we could take legal action against you. You may be unable to do any further works and amend any unacceptable alterations. You will also be liable for our legal costs.