Report anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) is a term used to describe behaviour that may affect your quality of life including the peaceful enjoyment of your home.

Please try to raise the issue with your neighbour before reporting anti-social behaviour. They may not be aware that they are causing a problem and you may be able to resolve it quickly and easily.

Our ‘dear neighbour’ cards can help you to do this. Download a card from this page or pick them up from your Area Service Centre

If you are unable to resolve the issue, please let us know using the form below.

Criminal activity should be reported to the police immediately so they can take appropriate action.


Fill in an anti-social behaviour form

Call: The council’s 24/7 noise team on 020 7641 2000 (environmental action line)

Call: Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

In an emergency always dial 999

To contact the police in a non-emergency, dial 101, alternatively you can make a non-emergency report to the police online (opens new window).

Our team are available within working hours 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday. For any complaints outside of this time please contact one of the services listed above.

If you submit an online anti-social behaviour report to us outside of our working hours then please note that it will be acknowledged and actioned within 24 hours.

Complete the anti-social behaviour online form or contact our customer services team on 0800 358 3783 and select option 2 to make a report of anti-social behaviour.

Next steps

If you report anti-social behaviour using our online form, we will give you a unique case reference number and assign a specialist case manager to investigate your complaint.

We will keep you up-to-date with progress and any action we are taking. We will contact you before we close the case to check if there are any outstanding issues.

We will then follow up after the case has been closed to find out if you are satisfied with the service and the outcome of the investigation.

Please remember that some disputes such as cooking smells and rubbish disposal are not classed as anti-social behaviour. If you call us about these disputes, we will let you know about other services that may be able to help you.

Criminal activity should be reported to the police so that they can take appropriate action.

Treating your report in confidence

The information you provide may be shared with the police and other agencies. It will be done in strict confidence without revealing your identity.

We can address issues with your neighbours without revealing who has reported them to us.

We will discuss any action we take with you beforehand so you are clear on how we plan to tackle the problem.

Examples of anti-social behaviour


Noise is the most common anti-social behaviour complaint we receive. Our specialist case managers are experts at dealing with this type of complaint. You can also seek help from the council’s noise team, outside of working hours.

Wooden or hard wood floors

If you remove a carpet and replace it with a hard wood, laminate or ceramic floor neighbours will hear more noise.

Since 1 September 2008 tenants have been required to gain our written permission to lay this type of flooring.

If you are a leaseholder and bought your property after January 2006, please check your lease to see if it specifically requires you to install a high quality underlay.

Sound insulation

In some cases everyday living noises – such as footsteps, doors closing, and children playing – may be audible between flats. This can be a particular problem in older properties, especially those built before 1990 or properties converted before 1992. They were not subject to the same standards of sound proofing that are necessary today.

The law states that a landlord is not liable to a tenant who is disturbed by the ordinary and reasonable activities of a neighbouring tenant because of inadequate sound insulation between properties.

If you are having problems with everyday noises, such as those listed above, we encourage the use of rugs and soft soled shoes to help resolve these issues. We can also offer a free and impartial mediation service if both parties are willing to engage.

Ball games

We do not take action against ball games unless they are associated with verbal abuse, harassment or unreasonable noise.

Please respect your communal areas and ensure your children are properly supervised. Please take advantage of designated play areas wherever possible.


Mediation is a step-by-step process that gives you the opportunity to resolve problems with your neighbours by talking confidentially to an independent professional mediator.

The mediator can help you find your own solutions to disputes and help you to negotiate a settlement or agreement so that you can move forward.

Your specialist manager may ask you if you will agree to be referred for mediation, or alternatively you can ask to be referred. Once the mediation has started, no specific details of the discussions will be shared with us.

Your responsibilities

If you are a tenant, you are responsible for the behaviour of everyone living in your household and your visitors. If they cause a nuisance, you must ask them to stop or risk putting your tenancy at risk.

Evicting a tenant

In most cases taking legal action to evict a tenant is a last resort, after we have tried other ways to resolve the problems. We are able to resolve most cases by intervening early to address any underlying issues.

Where this is not possible we can only evict a tenant if we have an Order from the Court. Eviction is a very serious matter. If you are evicted for anti-social behaviour, it is likely you would be considered ‘intentionally homeless’. This means that the council is unlikely to give you another home.

Further information

You can find out more information about what to do if you are having problems with your neighbours by going to your tenant or leaseholder handbook.