Sublet your home

Subletting takes place when a leaseholder rents their home out to another person. If you would like to sublet your home you need to register some details with us within 21 days of the arrangement starting and pay a registration fee of £30.

Please send to the address below:

  • a certified copy of the tenancy agreement with the subtenant
  • an alternative postal address so that the accounts and any other formal notices can be sent directly to you
  • a copy of the gas safety certificate for the property
  • details of any managing agent you are using
  • a contact number for you, and your managing agent if you have one, in case of an emergency.

CityWest Residential
Sublet Department
Penn House
30 High Street


To pay the registration fee please contact CityWest Homes Residential on 020 7245 2096.

Points to note

It is important to understand your legal obligations as a landlord. You can find more information on The Residential Landlord and Agents website.

You will be responsible for your subtenant's conduct. Please ensure your tenancy agreement includes the same rules and regulations that apply to you as the leaseholder.

Renewing an existing tenancy agreement with your subtenant does not require another registration fee. We only require a certified copy of the renewal of the tenancy.

You also need to be aware of your legal obligations for servicing gas appliances and arranging Legionella tests.

If the property is sublet to a company, registered social landlord or other such organisation, then their subsequent sublet will be a further letting. This must also be registered, with payment of a further fee of £30 and a certified copy of that agreement.

Also, when subletting, you should be aware of your tenant’s rights and responsibilities

Use our property management expertise with CityWest Homes Residential

CityWest Homes Residential is one of Westminster’s leading estate agents, providing a top quality property management, lettings and sales service since 2009.

We have let many properties in Westminster within the private sector to professional tenants, companies and students.

We can manage your sublet for you.

For more information about this service, please visit the CityWest Homes Residential website.

Short-term letting

Short-term letting is when a property is let for a period of 90 consecutive days or fewer.

You are not permitted to short let your property for a total of 90 days within a year without planning permission. This incurs fines of up to £20,000 and the future sale of your property could be affected.

More information about planning enforcement is available on Westminster City Council's website.