Universal credit

What you need to know

Universal Credit is a single benefit which has replaced a range of existing means-tested benefits and tax credits for people of working age.
It replaces:
• jobseeker's allowance
• housing benefit
• working tax credit
• child tax credit
• employment and support allowance
• income support.

One of the main changes for tenants since universal credit was introduced is that it is paid direct to the tenant. This means that tenants will need to make arrangements to pay their rent out of the universal credit payment.

Who is affected?

New claimants for jobseeker's allowance are asked to make an application for this.
Applications for universal credit can be made online on the GOV.UK website. When the application has been submitted, an interview is arranged at the persons' local Jobcentre Plus, where supporting documentation such as the tenancy agreement and copies of any rent increase letters are provided.

Originally published:
Last updated: